Friday, June 28, 2013

Too Young?

My daughter is 8 now, in that middle stage where storytimes at the library are not her ideal, because they are not aimed for her age either, instead we decided to try other things like crafts, we LOVE crafts, but some are to babyish for her also.  She was asking me to teach her how to make a friendship bracelet, I was thinking that's so much of a step by step go in order kind of craft that she was going to get frustrated, but she asked for a few days and I decided to give it a try.

We search in youtube and of course she couldn't choose the easiest one to make, she had to choose a chevron one, which I never made before, so we found this tutorial here but we stopped it sooo many times to follow along that froze on us, so we decided to look for another one which worked great! even if we stopped it a lot :)



While she was following along, she made a few mistakes, and got frustrated, then I thought: she is too young for this, told her to leave it and try another day, but she won't give up, she took new strand and started all over again


You can even see her nad face here lol

But that's her personality, she is determined! She said she wasn't too young for it, and did it.
Now as soon as she wakes up she goes work on it :) with a happy face because she sees how it is coming along...



Thank you for reading :)


2 comments:

  1. I think that if kids are asking to do a certain project, then it's totally a good idea to go for it. It looks like she really enjoyed it! I'm kind of in the same place...my daughter wants me to teach her to sew, but she's so young...only 4. I'm trying to figure out a way to get her sewing without actually using a real needle. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is true Sarah, now at 4 y. old I would be sceptical of giving them a needle too, I found this two awesome blogs that gives you a good idea on how to start them sewing at a young age:
    http://www.makeit-loveit.com/2013/05/teaching-kids-to-sew-intro-to-hand-sewing.html
    and
    http://www.sewmamasew.com/2009/08/easy-hand-sewing-for-kids-early-years/
    I would personally start them with plastic canvas, yarn and the blue plastic needles. I hope everything goes well whichever way you try, please keep me updated it, would love to hear about it :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments :)